I am an atheist, or so I believe. Long ago I decided that the only divine thing on earth was the earth itself. Deities and gods came and went, created in the image of man, giving form to his fears, hopes and desires. Good and evil are only abstract conventions of civilization. The concept of supernatural or divine intervention an infantile desire to be saved from ourselves and the perceived monsters of natural occurrence. I live a life that does not allow for predestination or divine intervention. God does not bother to intervene and angles waste no time guiding my footsteps through the perils of life.
Then life happens when I am not paying attention and incidents occur that defy simple mundane existence. Occurrences that are beyond mere happenstance and I am left to contemplate once again if there is more that moves this planet than the wind.
What is coincidence? What is synchronicity and serendipity? What is the sudden conscious connection of two separate interconnecting occurrences of space and thought? “It was met to be,” “Destiny, you can’t outrun it.” But to admit to the possibility of such things as predestination is to relinquish a hold on self-determination. To release my belief in self-determination is a step towards relinquishing self-responsibility for self-action. I believe we already have too much of that form of thought in this world as it is.”
But I am still left to ponder the odd coincidences in my life that seem to pop up when I find myself searching for direction. As a child I read “Illusions” by Richard Bach. It was there that I discovered that many of life’s answers are found in obvious places, but only when you discover what it is you are looking for. Then suddenly the answers are all around you; in the book you read, the billboard you see, or in the random statements of strangers overheard in passing.
3 comments:
Chris,
I hope things in your life are improving. It seems many of my students have some big burdens to deal with of late. I've approved the extension so lets see if we can make it happen next term.
Take care,
-cory
Hi Chris,
Just checking in to see how you're progressing. Hope all is well.
-cory
Hi Chris,
We're at midterm so I wanted to check in again and see what was happening. Please drop me an email update soon.
-cory
Post a Comment